Saturday, June 25, 2011

How I DIY

So mostly my weekends are spent doing all these fun arts and crafts projects I find online or I think up on a whim.  A couple weeks ago I saw a tank top at American Eagle that I really liked- racer back (my favorite) and it was tye-dyed, and $20.... I know that's not ridiculous but in my mind 20 bucks for a tank top is a little too much.  So it occurred to me that I could make my own! I took some $3 t shirts I found at Jo Ann Fabrics, turned them into tank tops, and then decorated them all with a little unique piz-azz!




So instead of paying $20 per tank top I spent $3 each, $10 on a tye dye kit (which I also tye-dyed a bunch of other shirts with) and some fabric paints I already had.  So each shirt cost less than $5 a piece! (Yay me!!)  To get the racer-back shape, all I did was lay over a tank top I already had, traced with a fabric chalk pencil, and cut it out.  Simple! And so much fun, I love doing this kind of stuff, especially the grey one with the flowers, it took me forever but I felt a sense of accomplishment that I was able to freehand the whole thing :)

So I was also working on a birthday present for the little girl I work with since her birthday is coming up in about 2 weeks.  I made her these:


I just thought the cupcakes were so cute, and very fitting since it's her birthday!

Any who, I love spending my Saturdays doing these kinds of things and would appreciate and feedback or comments.  I'd love to have enough time and energy to make enough stuff like this to do an ETSY site or something, but that's a lot of work and I still want it to be fun for me... I don't know, we'll just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment